February 4, 2007
See Student Guide.
In addition, we may discuss these questions in class:
- (Matt. 3:1-4) Visualize John. What is the point of this imagery? Compare Elijah & Zech. 13:4.
- How does John’s message compare with Jesus’ message? (x 4:17) How do they compare with the message of our modern prophet?
- (Matt. 3:7) What does John accuse the Pharisees & Sadducees of?
- (Matt. 3:9) See JST 3:34-36. What is their excuse?
- (Matt. 3:11) Why does it say Holy Ghost AND with fire. Are they one & the same? How are they different? Is the fire in vs. 11 related to the fire in vs. 12? X Mal. 4:1.
- (Matt 3:16) Why the dove? X Genesis 8:8-12. What is the imagery/symbolism here?
- (Matt. 4:1, 17) Visualize Jesus. What is the point of this imagery? How does he & his message parallel and contrast with John?
- (Matt. 4:1-11) How would you categorize these 3 temptations? Was Christ REALLY tempted? Could Satan really “deliver?” How does the JST change the message of vs. 11?
- What applications do you see in these chapters to your own life?